Construction Product Engineer
BRE is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research and knowledge generation. BRE is undertaking a major four-year R&D programme in the construction sector together with a consortium of partners and stakeholders, focusing on developing offsite modular construction, digital technologies and processes.
A key part of this programme will be the product validation of offsite building systems and components through the development of new technical standards and test methods. This is an exciting role for someone with a background in Civil Engineering to support the development of innovative products and new ways of testing them.
The role of the Construction Product Engineer will be to:
- Work closely with partners and stakeholders to explore how new standards and test methods can be developed to support the validation of offsite construction products, subassemblies and assemblies.
- Strong knowledge and experience in working in BIM environment
- Translate best practice from the traditional construction sector to Modern Methods of Construction
- Develop new and innovative test methods to validate components and systems, either physical testing or through software simulation
- Research and development of standardised solutions for offsite components
- Development of new standards and guidelines to support the development of offsite construction industry
- Collaborate closely with external partners and stakeholders
- Disseminate findings internally, amongst wider stakeholders and at external events
- Provide technical support in the validation process of offsite construction systems and components.
Skills and Experience
The candidate should have:
- Graduate in Civil Engineering with MSc, or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience in structural design and analysis
- Solid knowledge of Eurocodes and BS standards
- Software modelling and simulation (Ansys, ModelCenter)
- 3-5 years’ experience in construction, preferably in product development and validation areas.
- Knowledge and experience of materials laboratory testing and methodology would be beneficial Manufacture or site experience in modular/offsite construction would be beneficial
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
Location of Role
The job is located in Watford with occasional travels to meetings and events across the UK.