Research Engineer - Assurance and Compliance
BRE is undertaking a major four-year R&D programme in the construction sector together with a consortium of partners and stakeholders, focusing on offsite construction and digital technologies and processes. A key element will be to lead research into multi-disciplinary assessments of construction products.
This exciting new role is for a research engineer to lead and coordinate research regarding the testing, assessment and certification of construction products, particularly those related to innovation in modern methods of construction, as well as new methodologies and standards covering the whole life cycle of assets in construction. Reporting to the Assurance & Compliance workstream lead, you will also work with a number of technical and engineering specialists within BRE and partners across the UK regarding the wider programme.
BRE is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research and knowledge generation.
The role of the Research Engineer for Assurance & Compliance Workstream will be to:
- Work closely with the Assurance & Compliance Workstream Lead, the Product Validation Lead and other research engineers to support the scope of the technical work programme in this area.
- Support workshops with internal and external experts to shape the technical programme for construction products.
- Review the innovation in construction products that are driven by the move to offsite construction.
- Understand the implications of innovation on the way that products are tested, assessed or certified to a range of disciplines such as structural, fire, acoustic, environmental, etc.
- Write and review research and development into new test methods, working with a wide variety of experts across BRE.
- Understand the standards landscape and support standards development, supported by experts in BRE.
- Write technical reports and review the technical reports of others.
- Attend regular and/or ad hoc technical meetings with partners in Coventry, Cambridge, and London, specially to the Manufacturing Technology Centre in Coventry for the duration of the Platform Design Programme.
Skills and Experience
The candidate should have:
- Previous experience in a technical role related to construction product testing, assessment, certification, assurance and/compliance for MMC.
- Knowledge of standards, building regulations and codes
- Experience of performing research or development projects
- An engineering degree and is desirable to be a member of a professional engineering body
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively to a wide range of audiences
- Proven ability to work on complex programmes whilst maintaining focus on delivery
- An understanding of offsite and advanced manufacturing
- Experience of preparing technical reports and other collateral
Location of Role
- You will be based in BRE in Watford however ad hoc travel will be required in the south of England or Midlands
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.