Senior Building Control Manager
BRE is undertaking a four-year programme in the construction sector together with a consortium of partners and stakeholders. This is to deliver the Construction Innovation Hub focusing on offsite construction and digital technologies and processes, supported by a £72m grant from UKRI (https://constructioninnovationhub.org.uk). The work of the Hub will continue beyond the period of this grant.
We have an exciting new role for a Senior Building Control Manager to support projects focused on digital compliance and regulations, with the emphasis placed on strong capability to support digital transformation of traditional working procedures. As such, we are seeking to employ a senior building control manager with an extensive background of providing advice and solutions to meet building standards and regulations in a proactive and collaborative way with other multi-disciplinary colleagues across a range of projects. You will join us with a recognised professional qualification in Building Control (RICS, CABE, CIOB). The role offers you the opportunity to utilise your digital capabilities and extensive professional judgement to interpret the regulations and associated technical guidance into digitised compliance and standards. This is a great opportunity to work on leading edge research in the construction sector, working with a number of expert organisations across the country.
The person doing this role would be involved in:
· Fostering positive relationships and collaboration amongst all key stakeholders
· Providing extensive building regulation and standards compliance knowledge and expertise to digitised systems and procedures
· Support development of automated regulations checking processes that reduce error, increase certainty, improve efficiency, enable cost reduction and ultimately improve digital compliance.
· Planning and implementing Hub/BRE digital solutions for projects and customers
· Development and implementation of digital compliance processes and digital tools for Hub/BRE and their clients
· Development, implementation and testing of digital compliance demonstrator projects
· Creation of technical reports and presentations underpinned by robust evidence
· Scoping and development of project proposals
· Delivery of presentations at conferences and workshops
· Presentation of findings, new technologies and working methodologies to internal and external stakeholders
· Attend or host regular meetings with partners in Cardiff, Coventry, Cambridge and London, and elsewhere as required to effectively deliver the role requirements
· Ability to travel and work throughout the UK.
Essential requirements include:
· A university degree in a surveying/construction subject or equivalent.
· Chartered membership of an appropriate professional institution (RICS, CABE, CIOB)
· Experience in the construction industry with relevant senior experience in Building Control
· Extensive experience interpreting and applying Building Regulations, Approved Documents, associated codes and standards and sound understanding of how they sit alongside each other.
· Desirable experience of working on DfE / school schemes…
· Awareness of forensic investigations of buildings, defect identification and repair
· Proven ability to make pragmatic and value decisions on compliance with Building Regulations and Standards
· Knowledge of environmental issues and relevant standards/legislation
· Fully conversant with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
· Digitally proficient with working knowledge of a range of Building Information Modelling software’ for model and compliance auditing i.e. Revit, Navisworks, Solibri Model Checker, Autodesk Model Checker, AEC3 Require 1, Briefbuilder, GliderBIM
· Good communication skills both verbal and written with appropriate interpersonal skills.
· Problem solving and considered analytical thinking.
· Excellent numeric, written/verbal communication and presentation skills
· Excellent customer relationship skills.
· Self-motivated and focussed- takes ownership of problems.
· Able to manage own time and prioritise workloads effectively.
· Willing and able to learn new skills to apply them as and when new projects require.
Desirable requirements include:
Familiarity with the Agile approach, JIRA and SharePoint
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.