Technical Lead - Construction Innovation Hub
The Construction Innovation Hub is a government-funded programme on a mission to transform the UK construction industry. Combining the world-class expertise of the BRE (Building Research Establishment), the Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC) and the University of Cambridge’s Centre for Digital Built Britain (CDBB), the Hub wants to change the way our buildings and infrastructure are designed, manufactured and connected within our built environment by embracing Modern Methods of Construction (MMC) and digital ways of working.
This exciting role is for a Technical Lead to manage the delivery of the technical outcomes across the workstreams including Whole Life Performance, Quality Management, Assurance & Compliance, Digital and Skills & Training. You will also work with several technical and engineering partners who are distributed across the UK, to align specification, delivery and deployment.
BRE is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research and knowledge generation.
The role of the Technical Lead will be to:
- Oversee the technical scope specifications across the programme
- Oversee technical delivery through project phases and gate reviews
- Work closely in an Agile way with the BRE Programme Technical Workstream Leads and BRE Hub Programme Lead
- Coordinate the work of the Workstream Leads to ensure clarity of requirements
- Monitor and report technical progress and resolve issues
- Validate project output in line with programme requirements
- Attend technical meetings with partners in Coventry, Cambridge and London as required
- Assess technical proposals across the programme from sub-contractors, suppliers and/or delivery partners
- Line and matrix manage technical teams
Skills and Experience
The candidate should have:
- Previous technical accountability in research or innovation projects within construction
- Experience of decision making in relation to the use of MMC techniques and practicalities of site delivery
- Experience of specifying technical scope of works
- A working knowledge of BIM, Building Regulations and other notable standards such as BREEAM
- A civil or structural engineering degree, preferably chartered level
- A membership to a professional engineering body
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively to a wide range of audiences
- Proven ability to work on complex programmes whilst maintaining focus on delivery
- A high level of insight in relation to offsite construction, advanced manufacturing and MMC
- Experience in preparing technical reports and other collateral
- A working knowledge of Agile and Scrum frameworks would be desirable
Location of Role
- You will be based in BRE in Watford however ad hoc travel will be required in the south of England or Midlands
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.