Whole-Life Performance Engineer
*Fixed Term Contract to Sept 2022*
Why does this role exist?
BRE is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research, knowledge dissemination and the delivery of a wide range of services.
BRE is undertaking a major four-year R&D programme in the construction sector together with an alliance of partners and stakeholders. This is to deliver the Construction Innovation Hub (Hub) focusing on offsite construction and digital technologies and processes, supported by a £72m grant from UKRI (https://transformingconstruction.org.uk/).
One of the key workstreams within the Hub programme is the Value Toolkit, which offers clients a structured approach to value-based decision making across the investment lifecycle of a project or programme. This means better outcomes from both what and how projects are delivered, leading to a more sustainable built environment and a more sustainable model for our industry. A pilot version of the Toolkit is currently being tested by industry.
We have an exciting role for a Whole-Life Performance Engineer to oversee the delivery of the Value Toolkit process and methodology. Collaborating with several technical and engineering partners distributed throughout the UK, you will ensure successful specification, delivery and deployment of the Toolkit.
This is a great opportunity to work on leading edge research in the construction sector and develop new industry critical skills whilst working with a number of expert organisations.
The value this role will add:
This role will be responsible for ensuring the Value Toolkit continues to be both rigorous in its methodological approach and relevant to industry, thus enabling its successful deployment and uptake. Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the technical development work for the Value Toolkit process and methodology in readiness for full industry launch.
- Liaising with toolkit early implementers to gather and respond to user feedback, whilst also developing proposals for updates to the Value Toolkit methodology.
- Working with the industry-based Technical Advisory Group to consider and review changes to both process and underlying technical scope of the Value Toolkit.
- Lead the ongoing maintenance and refinement of the Value Toolkit post-launch.
- Responsible for maintenance and updating of Value Toolkit documentation, including overview documents, handbooks and spreadsheet templates.
- Advise Product Owner on necessary improvements to the digital tools.
- Supporting the ongoing development of training materials.
- Contributing to facilitation workshops with key client organisations.
- Interface with the wider Hub work programme and its workstreams as needed.
How will success be measured?
This role is part of a fast-paced R&D project that is nearing full launch to industry. As a result the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in producing proposals, reports, revised documentation etc. whilst maintaining a high level of quality is essential. The ability to respond to stakeholders in a timely manner is also essential.
What skills and experience does the role need?
- A degree (or ideally higher degree) in a relevant subject such as construction, infrastructure, or sustainability.
- Experience of working with sustainability assessment and measurement tools.
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and/or algorithms is desirable.
- Excellent Project Management skills.
- The ability to gather feedback, interpret findings and make proposals to influence future decisions.
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills.
- The ability to communicate complex information effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- Some knowledge of working with Microsoft Azure would be desirable.
We’re building a diverse and talented team at BRE because we know that different perspectives, experiences and skills will help us be more innovative and mean that we can help deliver effective solutions for our customers.
This is a non-exhaustive summary of your role and is non-contractual. In addition to the above, you may be required to undertake additional duties in order to properly execute your role. This job description is subject to variation from time to time in order to meet the changing needs and requirements of our industry, as well as customer and business demands.
The experience requirements above are provided for guidance purposes, however we would welcome applications from candidates with more or less relevant experience who can demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so please do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.