Fire Investigation Consultant
BRE Global’s fire investigation team is a world leading provider of specialist fire investigation services; investigating fire development, the performance of fire protection measures and systems, the effectiveness of fire safety guidance, and the legal implications of performance in these areas. BRE Global’s clients include central Government, enforcing authorities, insurers, solicitors and other commercial organisations.
We are offering an exciting opportunities for a professional to join our team of experts undertaking fire investigation activities and research for a wide range of clients in both the commercial and public sectors. The position lies within BRE Global’s Fire Investigation and Expert Witness business area.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Contribute to the development of a successful and sustainable business.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of fire investigation work both on site at the main BRE facilities or offsite at client premises both in the UK and overseas.
- Solve client problems through investigation of how and why incidents have occurred and learning lessons from those fires.
- Demonstrate a commercial approach to the fire investigation needs of clients.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of experimental work, including bench-scale and medium-scale experiments and full-scale reconstructions of fires.
- Liaise with external clients, sub-contractors and various agency representatives.
- Work flexibly around a set of core hours to deliver projects to tight timescales.
- Provide professional reports to clients, where necessary to satisfy the requirements for Expert Evidence of the Criminal Procedure Rules (currently Rule 19 of the Criminal Procedure Rules 2015 Expert Evidence as amended April 2018).
- Demonstrate the ability to present evidence and opinions in a Courtroom.
- Work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
Must have: (essential skills)
- At least a 2:1 bachelor of science degree in a science or engineering subject or equivalent
- At least 2 A-levels in core science subjects, grade A-C, or equivalent
- Problem solving ability and applied analytical thinking
- Excellent numeric, written/verbal communication and presentation skills (fully conversant with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Good customer relationship skills
- Ability to deal with demanding and stressful situations, including dealing with fire victims
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality
- Self-motivated and focussed
- Able to manage own time and prioritise workloads effectively
- Willing and able to learn new skills and apply them as and when projects require
- Willing and able to respond rapidly and flexibly to major fire incidents
- Willing and able to work alongside other BRE specialists on site and in the laboratory
- Ability to dynamically assess health and safety risks on site and in the laboratory, and respond appropriately
Great to also have: (desirable skills & experience but not essential as training will be provided)
- Qualifications and experience in fire engineering
- Qualifications and experience in forensic science and/or fire investigation
- Knowledge of Building Regulations and associated legislation
- Knowledge of the Fire Safety Order
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Law relevant to the construction sector
- Knowledge of codes, standards, legislation and case law.
- Worked with other bodies in the fire industry
- Worked with other stakeholders in the wider construction industry
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
While this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way