Sustainable Products LCA Consultant
As a member of the Sustainable Products team, the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Consultant will be an experienced LCA practitioner and construction materials specialist with working knowledge of LCA, Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) and LCA tools; and will be responsible for providing technical expertise and leadership to deliver and develop BRE Sustainable Products’ life cycle management business.
As BRE’s subject matter expert on LCA, the role holder will be expected to deliver LCA services for BRE’s Certified Environmental Profiles and Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) membership and verification schemes for construction products; and to manage and develop BRE’s suite of LCA tools and methods.
Reporting to the Sustainable Products Team Lead the role holder is responsible for:
- Delivery of LCA projects, ensuring robust and credible outcomes in accordance with the standards and science by which Sustainable Products certification and verification schemes are developed and operate.
- Maintaining, developing and managing BRE’s online LCA tool LINA; and LCA databases such as IMPACT.
- Providing key technical support for the development, maintenance and application of BRE’s methodologies for environmental assessment in line with updates to relevant LCA standards.
- Identifying and implementing technical improvements to environmental assessment schemes, IT systems and governance processes.
- Liaising with the BRE Global scheme approvals team in relation to new scheme development/maintenance issues.
- Supporting the training and development of team members in delivery of LCA services
- Developing, promoting, and providing client support for BRE’s life cycle management business, in doing so co-ordinate and liaise with other delivery teams and support functions across BRE.
- Engaging with new and existing sector customers, stakeholders and tool users to grow demand and uptake for the assessment and certification of products and services.
The role holder will demonstrate:
- A proven track record in LCA in construction and working knowledge of LCA tools
- Experience in LCA methodology development and application to different products
- Good understanding of relevant ISO standards and methodologies relating to LCA
- An understanding and experience of product certification schemes and the ‘rules’ of certification and good governance
- An understanding of how the construction industry uses LCA and the role that EPD, and product certification plays in Environmental assessment methods such as BREEAM and LEED
- Knowledge and awareness of Sustainable Products certification and verification schemes, their customers and users and their and the wider construction industry expectations.
- Knowledge and awareness of the dynamics and market influencing effects for EPD, policy and key clients and stakeholders, e.g. product manufacturers, trade associations, local and regional government, etc. Qualifications, experience,
- Educated to a degree level.
- Demonstrable experience in one, or a number of roles commensurate to the responsibilities, knowledge and experience described.
- Understanding of principles of LCA software.
- An ability to prioritise workload and demonstrate initiative and independence to react to changing priorities.
- Excellent technical communication and influencing skills, with experience of dealing with people at all levels, from technical specialists to Board members.
- Willingness to travel in the UK and Europe to attend client and stakeholder meetings.
- Active within their professional network through, for example, membership of a professional institute, industry or trade body.
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
While this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way