Principal Engineer, Building Structures (Wind Engineering)
BRE are seeking an experienced Structural Engineer with industry experience to join our Fire & Building Technology Group, and lead our Wind Engineering team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a self-motivated individual to bring their technical knowledge, commercial acumen and industry network to help grow the portfolio of this important, technically demanding and long-standing BRE unit.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in Structural Engineering, specifically but not limited to Building Aerodynamics and its impact on Structural Design. Ideally, the candidate will have experience of Wind Microclimate, Wind Loading and Building Aerodynamics as well as knowledge of Wind Tunnel testing.
Whilst experience in standardisation is not an essential requirement, candidates with practical work experience in normative work will be preferable.
Duties and responsibilities
- Winning and delivering wind-related consultancy/ test services to external clients in diverse sectors
- Client liaison from tender to final reporting stage
- Attendance at client meetings, to ensure delivery of work and growth of customer relationships
- Performing technical work by way of post-processing and interpretation of wind tunnel / numerical modelling data as well as technical reporting
- Project and staff management
- Implementing of Quality Procedures
- Supervising wind tunnel model design and build activities on projects
- Adhering to Health and Safety Procedures at all times
- Demonstrating a professional and courteous attitude
Skills & Experience
- Higher degree in Structural or Civil Engineering
- Post-graduate experience and/or working experience in consulting structural engineering will be considered an advantage
- Familiarity with wind tunnel test techniques and data analysis techniques
- Project management experience
- Good problem solving ability
- Working knowledge of data processing software
- Good command of English as a working language (written and verbal communication)
- Ability to work with commitment and accuracy under pressure
- High degree of self-motivation
- Team player at all times, demonstrating a professional and courteous attitude
- Good multi-tasking ability and time management skills
- Good technical appreciation of empirical and wind tunnel test techniques,
- Willingness to get involved in innovative research, and proven record of delivering results to time, cost and quality.
- Experience in expert witness work and legal commissions
- Knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) or Computational Wind Engineering (CWE) would be an advantage.
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
While this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way