We are seeking a practical engineer or physicist/researcher to join our team to work on HVAC-related lab and building-based testing, research and consultancy. The work requires enthusiasm, flexibility, and a broad interest in problem-solving and the underlying principles of building services, including air conditioning, ventilation, and renewable and low energy technologies.
The ideal candidate would also have project management or some form of workplace supervisory experience. They should also have a rigorous approach to their work, and practical experience in a UKAS accredited testing or scientific research environment would be an advantage.
The job is in the HVAC Engineering Team within BRE’s Fire and Building Technology Group, based in Garston, Watford.
The team currently carries out a diverse range of testing and consultancy for a wide range of commercial and government clients. The work is usually related to HVAC engineering in buildings and other internal environments. The work is often highly practical, involving building investigations or development and operation of special test rigs and mock-ups, but it can include desk-based studies and requires an understanding of the underlying physics and engineering.
The job will also include testing a range of products and systems to BS and CEN standards including heat pumps and ventilation products, which requires a high degree of accuracy and rigour. There will also be a requirement to assist in the development, construction and maintenance of our test rigs.
The work is often carried out to very tight budgets and timescale deadlines, and requires a flexible and positive attitude to client expectations.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Work with HVAC Team on laboratory and field-based projects, liaising with sub-contractors and clients.
- Record and analyse test data and field measurements and prepare reports.
- Undertake desk-based studies and small-scale research.
- Work to Standards and UKAS accredited test procedures.
- Undertake instrument calibrations and keep calibration records up-to-date.
- Assist in the development of new and one-off test procedures based on recognised standards as required, including test rig design.
- Work within the HVAC Team and the wider BRE Group to develop and expand testing and consultancy work.
Essential requirements include:
- Practical experience and/or demonstrable practical aptitude and interest in application of scientific and engineering principles to solving real-world problems, ideally, but not necessarily, in building services.
- Excellent customer relationship skills.
- Good verbal and written presentation and report writing skills.
- Good organisational and accurate record keeping.
- Self-motivated and focussed but also ability to work in a team.
- Proficient in use of MS Office software for reports, data analysis and presentations.
- Able to undertake practical laboratory and field-based work which may include the use of access equipment when required.
- Willingness to travel in the UK as required.
- Holder of a valid UK driving license.
Desirable requirements include:
- Educated to degree or equivalent level and above in an engineering or science- related subject.
- Experience of working in a building services engineering related environment such as contracting, research or commercial consultancy.
- Commercial/financial awareness and business development experience.
- Sound knowledge/interest in current affairs relating to the environment and buildings and government policy implications.
BRE is an equal opportunities employer.
While this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way